Thursday, January 5, 2012

NRaWin2012: Chicken Pot Pie

What is NRaWin2012 you ask?  Well, I was trying to figure out something to call this little goal of mine and NRaWin2012 or New Recipe a Week in 2012 came about!   The goal is to make a new recipe every week.  It can be anything from a dessert, side, to a whole main dish.  It has to be a recipe I have never tried before and I don't have to follow the recipe closely nor do I have to use a recipe.  It just has to be making something a new way that I've never done before.  I'm not counting out trying several of the same dish using different recipes either.  Just trying to make this as easy as possible for me while still being a challenge.  There are a lot of weeks in a year!   Also not counting out, my husband taking over the cooking for that night...it was VERY hard to keep him from taking over this first week since he usually does most the fun cooking.   So, we'll just say that Special K or I will be doing this challenge as a team.

For the first week, Special K requested Chicken Pot Pie.  Honestly, I didn't know he liked it so much!!  When he mentioned that that's what he wanted, I went on Pinterest and searched Chicken Pot Pie.  I got a TON of results!  I settled on using this recipe but making some modifications for our tastes.

WEEK 1 RECIPE: Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients

3 uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, thawed
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1 can of cream of mushroom with roasted garlic (you could just use all cream of chicken soap but I saw this and couldn't resist getting at least one of them.)
1 can of milk
1/2 can of water (I only added this because I was worried about leaving it in the crock pot all day but I could have left it out.)
4-5 medium potatoes, diced
1 container of mushrooms
1/2 a bag of crinkle cut carrots
1 cup of diced celery
1 small onion, diced
1 small bag or box of frozen peas
Adobo Seasonings (or whatever your heart desires)
a dash of pepper and salt if you'd like
2 packages of Pillsbury Crescent rolls
Small aluminum tins

The night before I chopped up all the veggies that needed dicing and put them in a container in the fridge.  This morning in a crock pot, I added chicken breast, soups, milk, water, potatoes, mushrooms, celery, onion and all spices. Cook on low for about 6 hrs. I let it cook all day while I was at work so it was closer to 9 but I'm sure 6 would work.  I came home for lunch and shredded the chicken and stirred it a bit.   Next, add peas to the crock pot; cook for about 10 minutes or until peas are warmed through. Since Special K wanted a bottom crust, we unrolled the crescent rolls,  put a layer in the tins and for his we put a tin with water on top to keep the crust from puffing up too much but mine we left.  Baked it for about 10-12 mins on 350.  Then I pulled it out of oven, added pot pie filling, and placed a layer of the crescent roll on top.  Last baked in oven on 350 for about another 15-17 mins.  Take out the pies, let them cook a bit, and then DIG in!!

Here are some progress pictures for you.
Layer of crescent rolls in tins.
Special Ks on the left with the tin with water in it.
Adding filling and covering them in dough.
You can't tell but I put an N on one and a heart K on the other.
Leftover pie filling!!!  I separated it out to use some as soup and some for more pot pies!
Another view of the baked goodness!!!  
These came out SO yummy!!  Special K was impressed with them which after eating some not so great meals I've cooked in our time married is a GREAT thing!  I think this will be a recipe I will try again...but just maybe not for a while.

Hope you enjoyed my first NRaWin2012!  Feel free to join me in this challenge at anytime and add a link to your post in the comments!

Happy Cooking!!!!

PS...if you notice this wasn't something I could give Miss Carmen AKA the milk/peanut/egg allergy girly!  She has some potatoes cooked in olive oil on stove, peas, and soy yogurt for dinner.   Nothing too exciting but she ate a bunch so that is good!  I was going to make her some chicken too but she wasn't feeling that good so she was extra snuggly. :)  Love that girl!  We might be staying home tomorrow because of her sickness but we haven't made the call yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I appreciate them all!